What’s in the Box? Get S-Serious with big data
With 2.5 quintillion bytes of data being created each day, the data industry is growing fast.
Think huge datasets about customers, products and network activity. Or terabytes of unstructured data like web logs, video, images and documents.
By 2020, the economic value of big data and the Internet of Things (IoT) is expected to reach £62 billion – or 3% of UK GDP.
Yet the vast majority of data collected continues to go dormant – warehoused and gathering dust till such time reporting and analytics is performed.
Now there’s increasing demand for data that’s streamed and analysed for decision-making in real time.
The ability to perform facial recognition and enable motion event triggers from video surveillance systems, for example. Or applying machine learning to data gathered from sensors and connected devices. This is known as active data.
Conventional rack server designs struggle to meet the needs of such data-intensive workloads when it comes to operational speed, scale and efficiency. So, what if there was a platform optimised for active data allowing you to:
- Scale as effortlessly as the cloud
- Integrate IT with developers through the tools they want to use
- Provide a fabric that becomes the backplane of your distributed systems
Data unstored (with all the mod cons)
That platform is the Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS). Already powering a family of solutions designed to work together (not just from us, but trusted vendors too), we’ve made UCS even more powerful with the UCS Storage server – or S-Series.
An exclusive class of storage-dense, modular computing, the S-Series packs a serious punch when it comes to managing active data:
- It couples dense storage capacity with servers, allowing large amounts of data to reside closer to compute
- Enables rapid scaling of storage capacity to hundreds of petabytes through policy based automation and integration with simple and well-known tools
- Drives down TCO to less than half the cost of public cloud storage
- Decouples the refresh cycles of compute, I/O and storage media so that each can be upgraded and scaled independently
- Spans a wide variety of use cases and partner ecosystem – big data, software-defined storage, object storage, data protection and video analytics to name just a few
S-Series is a plug-and-play part of our B-Series Blade Servers, C-Series Rack Servers, and converged and hyperconverged infrastructure solutions.
It’s an x86 platform, so you can install any software you prefer. You can manage it from your fibre interconnects, or using Cisco UCS Manager alongside your blades, rack mount and converged and hyperconverged clusters.
Catering for up to x60 3.5inch drives, the S-Series is designed to give you exactly what you need – an economical and manageable way to unlock the latent value contained within your ever-growing data sets.
Take a quick look inside the S-Series with Phil, our intrepid Systems Engineer:
To find out more about how Cisco and our partners empower you with next-generation data management and analytics, visit us at the Strata Data Conference taking place in London 23-25 May 2017.
We’ll be giving a range of demos at booth #217. Drop by and you can also pick up a free hardcopy of our special edition Big Data for Dummies.
I hope to see you there!Tags: